The Brome Lake Ducks’ Women’s season got off to a great start this Saturday, May 5th in Beaconsfield against rivals, and friends, BRFC at Beaconsfield High School on a gorgeous sunny day.
- Ducks’ Rookies who played their 1st-ever game of XVs rugby: Stephanie Leclerc (Prop) and Vanessa Noiseux (Centre)
- Returning Ducks’ players, with University experience, who took a break after season 1 : Cat Barker (Center), Sarrah Ewing (Srcum-half)
- Recent additions: Sammy Ewing (8-man) who comes with University experience and has joined Quebec’s Provincial Caribou team, plus Andrée-Claude Larocque (Fullback) and Mariah Côté (Wing) who also have some game experience elsewhere.
- These players joined veterans: Athena Bowbrick (Hooker), Megan O’Donnell (Prop), Caitlin Levesque (2nd Row), Sonia Gauthier (2nd Row), Célie Cournoyer (Flanker), Laurence Noiseux (Flanker), Emily Parker (Flanker), Virginie Rouleau (Fly-half), Viviane Rivard (Wing), Morgan Hennessy (Wing) and Virginia Wilson (Flanker) to form the squad that contributed to a solid victory.
Following the game, at a social hosted by BRFC, Jane Webb, coach and veteran player commented, “Where did you all come from? Kudos to whoever has been working with you and doing your recruiting!”
Here is a short recap of the game:
At the half the Ducks had already registered 24 points ( 5 tries + 2 conversions). The final score is a testament to our determination and drive to compete this season, Ducks 55 – Beaconsfield 0.
- Hooker, Athena Bowbrick, not only delivered good line out throws, she managed an impressive 5 out of 9 conversions putting 10 points up on the board.
- Centre, Catherine Barker broke away with speed and excellent footwork to score 3 tries.
- Number 8, Sammy Ewing, constantly pressured BRFC forwards and broke through their defence like child’s play crossing the try line 3 times as well.
- Second Row and 1st jumper, Caitlin Levesque, stole line out ball from BRFC all day long and delivered a message when she carried the ball across the try line breaking a few tackles along the way.
- Winger rookie, Mariah Côté, beautifully finished a back line attack with a nice run from past the 22 yard line to put the ball down near the posts.
- Centre rookie, Vanessa Noiseux got her start at XVs, and went for a fair run from near the 22 m line to go score a try too.Solid defence in the back field by our wingers and rookie fullback, AC Larocque, as well as great front row work in scrums by rookie Stephanie Leclerc, with hooker Athena and prop Megan, plus all the preparation work that was done with Coach Adam Spirk and early on this winter with Morad Kellal paid off.A collaborative effort by each of the players earned us this win and the victory has confirmed that the newly formed squad, veterans and recruits, are going to make this an incredibly competitive season but a fun one as well.
Next women’s game: Saturday, May 12th at noon vs St.-Lambert Locks @ Ste-Julie